Sunday, June 15, 2008

First Weekend in Brussels

At 2 pm Saturday, while I was wandering around trying to find plug adapters that wouldn't blow up my outlets (done it twice ... guess whose landlord loves her?), I learned a very important lesson -- always eat breakfast before wandering aimlessly around a neighborhood you don't know in a foreign country. I was so cranky and famished by the time I found the brico (my new word -- it means hardware store), I wasn't even excited that I: a) found what I was looking for and b) found a couple of very cool neighborhoods with all I need in walking distance of my house. No, I was too focused on finding a sandwich and shoving it in my mouth. Once I did that, I decided to go grocery shopping so this wouldn't happen again.


The best thing I bought on my first grocery shopping trip was an orphanage size box of Special K. Come to think of it, it should probably be referred to as the weight loss camp size box of Special K (I hope orphans the world over are served delicious sugary cereals like Coco Krispies!). Seriously, this box is like 4 boxes in one. Paired with my Rice Dream (I wouldn't buy real milk cause they only had full fat), it made for a tasty breakfast this morning!

I've spent the weekend walking all over the city, especially exploring the previously mentioned neighborhoods I am surrounded by. One neighborhood, Flagey, has a cute duck pond, a great bar called Cafe Belga, and a farmer's market on Saturdays and Sundays that sells fresh flowers, meats, vegetables, cheeses, waffles, etc. I'll visit next weekend to purchase more staples for the kitchen.
The duck pond is lined by gorgeous houses ... it has a great neighborhood feel to it ... people who live there were out shopping, playing with their kids in the park, etc. The other neighborhood I walked around, which if the signs are to be believed is called Moliere, has an overabundance of hair salons. And a brico. God love the brico!

I also went for a run in the Bois de la Cambre and through l'Abbaye de la Cambre. The Bois de la Cambre is, from what I can tell, a pretty sizable park (forest) that reminds me an awful lot of Rock Creek Park ... serious traffic seems to be tearing through it, but there are lovely trails and walkways good for running. My apartment actually provided a running map and gave three ideal locations in the Bois for running. I'm going to try another this evening. L'Abbaye is this beautfiul old abbey that is a stone's through from my house. A few gorgeous old buildings and well-manicured gardens. And lots of stairs ... it will be good working out or just relaxing in the sun (when and if it comes out).

Speaking of the sun, I decided to walk to my office this morning to see how long it would take (about 30 minutes) and was amazed at how beautiful it was. The sun was shining, it was warm, and I was thinking it would have been the perfect day for sandals and a dress ... and here I was in jeans and tennis shoes. After I found the office, I walked over to see the Parc du Cinquantenaire ... a major tourist attration in the city. It was beautiful ... the Arch in the photo

is the grand entrance (or exit) to the Parc. See the big, pretty, white, puffy clouds in the photo? Well, by the time I walked up to the Arch after taking this photo, the winds of change started to blow. I'm not joking when I say it dropped 15 degrees and began to rain ... hard and fast. I tried to find a cab to get home but there were none in sight. So I walked and got soaked to the bone. I walked through the European Quarter and back down through Flagey. And wouldn't you know it? By the time I got home, it stopped raining. Ugh.
The sun does seem to come out later in the day here ... and it doesn't set until around 10:30/10:45. So its 6:00 now and sunny, and likely will be for the next 4 hours or so. Time for me to head out for a run!
Looking forward to my first day of work tomorrow. Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you!

1 comment:

George said...

I love the "smiling bikini face" on your super-sized box of Special K! I'm going to start arranging all the swimsuits at J.Crew like that to make bikini shopping a more pleasant experience for the women of Beachwood!