Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why Belgium Sucks #1: The Belgian Poste

The first in what I am sure will be an ongoing series of rants about my new, temporary home.

Last week, the Belgian Poste tried to deliver my boxes from the U.S., but surprise surprise, I was at work during the middle of the day on Wednesday. My choices for getting the boxes? Pick them up myself with my imaginary car in a town I've never heard of or arrange another day for them to deliver. My colleague Rebecca, who speaks way better French than me, graciously called on my behalf and scheduled a day for them to deliver the boxes ... yesterday, sometime between 9 am and 7 pm. Thanks for narrowing down that delivery window, Belgian Poste!

So yesterday, I stayed at home and waited. And waited. And waited. And when 7:30 rolled around, I was so frustrated that I just left and went for a really long run. And you know what? Still no sign that they've even attempted to deliver them. According to my colleagues, this means that I've had my first real encounter with Belgian customer service. According to me, Belgium sucks.

7 comments:

BlattOK said...

sorry, but I have you beat. When I was living in France I gave a friend's address for delivery of the boxes I mailed from the States. when the boxes arrived it happened my friend was away for two weeks - and by the time he got around to telling me about the notice from la poste,they decided that it was too late and they were going to send the boxes back. it took me something like four trips to four different post offices and fourteen forms before someone ( i believe it was the assistant deputy minister in the ministere pour le harrassment des etrangers) took pity and intervened to get me the boxes... anyhow, hope your story has a happy ending. at least you got a run out of it

Elizabeth said...

MoGo - JRo and ET here. Jim is making a service call to my home as I got CABLE this week and he is helping my TiVo and cable communicate as he is a professional communicator and also can talk to animals (did he ever tell you that????) We miss you xxoxoxxoxo Eliz
and
Jeem

Bob said...

It is really sad that you judge a country solely on its postal service.

If for example you compare our health care to the American one, you would find that the USA Sucks big time. Or lets talk about foreign policies, global warming, gun policies, economy, history, ...

There are a lot of things in which Belgium is a lot better then other countries, and for a country this small, that is remarkable!

I say, Belgium sucks for a few things, but it is a lovely and special country with an identity that can't be found anywhere else.

gary said...

Oh, oh, oh .... I know a another reason why belgium sucks (i am eagerly raising my hand here flick-style) -- they don't understand hyperbole

g

The MoGo said...

Gary, thanks for reminding me why I love you so much! Big ups, holmes!

Alcibiades said...

"Dat kan niet."

Dr Koch said...

this country is full of incompetent liars who dont give a shit, welcome!